Canadians – and their ski resorts – are famous for their relaxed and friendly vibe, sense of fun and taste for adventure. And that’s just in the cold heart of winter. So just imagine what they’re like in spring time and Easter?
Take family, couples or groups to this part of the world as February blossoms into March and April, and you’ll be sure to enjoy:
- possibly the best powder snow of the season
- more daylight hours to ski, board and play
- après ski drinks and parties in the sunshine
- no (or close to no) waiting in lift lines
- quicker access to fun outdoor activities, restaurants, bars and more
- off-peak season specials outside of school holidays.
But which resort to choose?
To help you make that decision, this Canadian spring ski resort guide delves into six of the Maple Country’s best snow holiday destinations – and who might revel most in each.
Of course, in a powder-blessed country like Canada, there’s no such thing as the wrong resort. You’ll have a fantastic time wherever you and your ski boots may roam.
And the Blue Powder team are always here to share our expert advice.
Whistler in Feb/Mar – Indulge in Snow and Après Action
Whistler is the Instagram celebrity of ski resorts. Whether you’re skiing, snowmobiling, enjoying a massage, or eating at the hottest restaurant in town, life just looks amazing from every angle.
No doubt many other ski resorts have fame-envy, but Whistler is too busy having a good time to care.
Crowds flock to Whistler over December and January holidays. That’s why February and March is a great time to rub shoulders with SKI Magazine’s No.1 overall best ski resort in North America for three years in a row.
- 8000ha of ski and snowboard runs for every level
- Offers an epic 11.7m of powder (3m in March alone last year!)
- Check out over 200 shops, 90 restaurants, pubs and bars, day and night
- Indulge in helicopter tours, spring snow picnics, 4 course tasting tours and other secrets.
Getting to Whistler
Just over 2 hours’ drive from Vancouver means less travel and more holiday time.
Take a look at our Whistler accommodation and package deals.
Sun Peaks at Easter – Canada’s Family Wonderland in Springtime!
With its myriad of ski runs, après fun, one-of-a-kind experiences, and 2000+ hours of sunshine each year, Sun Peaks knows how to put the friendly in family ski holidays.
If anywhere has the power to distract sweet little snow angels from turning into abominably grumpy snow ogres, it’s the wonderland of Sun Peaks:
- Crowd-free all-level skiing over 3 mountains, 135 runs and 37km of trails
- Ski in, ski out accommodation
- Kids ski and rent free
- Charming pedestrian-only village with 50+ shops, bars and restaurants
- Kid’s fun at The Candy Vault, Sneaky Scallywags, Mountain High Pizza and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
- Easter egg hunt on skis with the Easter Bunny and Harry Bear
- Sleigh rides, dog sled tours, ice skating, fat bikes, Fondue dinners and more
- Skiing with Winter Olympian gold medallist, Nancy Green
Getting to Sun Peaks
From Vancouver via Kamloops to your cosy hotel room takes less than two hours.
Take a look at our Sun Peaks accommodation and package deals.
Panorama at Easter for Families – Cool Views, Hot Pools and Ski Schools
This lesser-known gem nestled high in the spectacular Rockies has something for the whole family too – from the fantastic ski school programs and daycare to the dreamy cruisers, Discover Quad terrain and exhilarating Taynton Bowl.
Plus, headlining the resort’s growing list of stay-together, play-together family activities, is Panorama’s famed slope-side 300m hot pool.
Come for the:
- 100% ski-in and ski out accommodation and safe pedestrian-only village
- miles of amazing terrain, including the Discovery Quad for families and first-timers
- PanoPass – unlimited skiing/riding, cross-country, snowshoeing, tubing, tobogganing
- Easter themed and non-ski activities for all ages
- family dining, shopping, spa and entertainment options
- fantastic adult/kids ski school programs and day-care for different ages and abilities
- advanced fun at Taynton Bowl, Devil’s Drop, Never Land and heli-skiing
- Canada’s largest slope-side hot spring pools
- family deals – and free skiing for kids.
Getting to Panorama
Daily flights from Australia to Calgary with a 3.5 hour shuttle transfer to Panorama
Take a look at our Panorama accommodation and package deals.
Banff/Lake Louise at Easter – Family Fun on the Wild Side
With its gorgeous village, jaw-to-the-floor Rockies scenery, mythical creatures and incredible choice of bona fide Canadian outdoor activities, Banff/Lake Louise is a magical Easter experience you’ll never forget.
From the serene to the spirited, astonishing to the action-packed, this wild wonderland offers:
- some of the world’s most beautiful mountain, lake and forest scenery
- 3 ski resorts on one pass – Sunshine, Lake Louise and Norquay
- beautiful, vibrant, snow-blanketed Banff town
- Unique stays – from cabins and condos to castles and chateaus
- 100+ bistros, pubs, fine dining and kid’s restaurants
- family adventures like sledding, sleigh-rides, snow-shoeing, spring picnics, tubing and tobogganing
- ice skate on the lake in front of the Fairmont Lake Louise
- the chance to see elk, deer, chipmunks, wolves and mountain goats
- famous local legends, Big Foot and Mermen
- the amazing Lake Louise cable-car ride
- Kids under 12yrs ski free on passes of 5 or more days.
Getting to Banff
Fly to Calgary, then 2 hours by coach from Calgary
Take a look at our Banff/Lake Louise accommodation and package deals.
SilverStar – Small mountain charm, big mountain terrain
This warm and friendly resort looks and feels like a Hans Christian Anderson fairy-tale setting. So, you just know it’s going to be fun for kids and parents.
At the same time, there are plenty of rollicking fables for more advanced skiers and boarders to retell – about long blue cruiser runs, Rockstar Park adventures and scary encounters with big, bad double black run monsters.
Ski happily ever after in SilverStar:
- On the green, blue and short black runs of Silver Woods, Comet and Attridge.
- Over 1900 acres of mountain heaven, known as Putnam Creek, home to blue, black, double black runs and heli-skiing.
- learn to ski with Canada’s highest trained instructors at Snowsports School
- drop the little ones at Star Kids Daycare (18mths to 5 yrs)
- take on 16 acres of all-level terrain known as Rockstar Park
- Discover the “best Nordic skiing in North America”
- Explore the safe, quaint, ski in and out village centre, shops, restaurants, cafes and more
- Après socialising to live music at The Antler and Long Johns Pub
- Sample the cuisine options from seafood to curries to ribs, local wines and beers.
- Kids ski free and accommodation/lift pass bundle deals available
- Indulge at the new Elevate Aveda spa
Getting to SilverStar
Fly from Australia to Kelowna, BC via Vancouver, then 1 hour by coach.
Take a look at our SilverStar accommodation and package deals.
Big White for the Young at Heart – 50yrs + Masters Week in Feb/March
Big White could have been called the Big Easy. Because that’s what life’s all about here. And never more so than during Masters’ Week, when several hundred sociable and sprightly over 50’s hit town ready to ski, feast and be merry for three seperate ski weeks over Feb and March.
The best part? It’s not whether you’re a beginner, gentle cruiser, adventurous intermediate or a downhill Jedi, it’s all about the fun you have and people you meet.
Masters’ Weeks for 2018 are: Jan 29 – Feb 2 | Feb 26 – Mar 2 | Mar 26 – 30, so you can ease in to:
- Canada’s largest 100% ski in/ski out resort
- Ski Canada Magazine’s ‘Best Snow’ and ‘Best Grooming’ winner
- Skiing and learning at your pace, with people of a similar ability level
- over 1700 ha of incredible ski terrain
- 23 bars and restaurants, 8 shops
- exclusive Master’s events – wine tastings, local restaurant nights, evening sleigh rides and more.
Getting to Big White
1 hour drive from Kelowna airport and less than an hour by air from Vancouver.
Take a look at our Big White accommodation and package deals