Why visit Japan for your next ski holiday? If it’s epic powder snow, versatility of terrain and unique cultural activities you’re after, then why not? And Hakuba resort delivers all this in spades, which may be why it has become such a firm ski favourite for families and hard core skiers and boarders alike!
It’s all about the Snow
Situated in the heart of the Japanese Alps, this stunning setting rivals some of the best of Europe and provides the steepest terrain by Japanese standards. Add over 11m of snowfall across 9 different resorts all accessed by one lift ticket and it’s no wonder it’s regularly considered the Skiing Mecca of Japan.
Things you’ll love about Hakuba Skiing
- 9 resorts, over 200 runs on one lift ticket, it truly offers something for everyone
- 11m+ of epic powder snow
- Japan’s steepest terrain
- World class ski conditions – Hakuba played a feature role in the 1998 Winter Olympics and hosts various international and FIS World Cup events
- Hakuba 47 is a boarder and terrain park haven
- Renowned off-piste and tree skiing at Cortina
- Hakuba’s flagship resort, Happo-One is a family friendly favourite with a consistently solid snow base
- World class lifts and gondolas.
- Take a lift up to the top of the Olympic ski jumping hill just above the village to check out the amazing views before jumpers take their knuckle-biting descent
Hakuba for Families
Hakuba is an ideal destination for families, it’s relatively easy to get to, there is a huge variety of skiing for everyone and lots of kid friendly activities and après that will delight all!
- It offers something for everyone from beautifully groomed, bump-free beginner and intermediate runs to impressive steeps, moguls and lots and lots of fresh powder
- Take your skills to the next level at Happo One Ski School and Evergreen International Ski School providing lessons for all ages
- Several resorts have ski schools with child care and English speaking instructors
- Accommodation options at Happo One within walking distance of ski schools
- Choice between Westernised and Japanese-style accommodation
- Let the kids loose at Kids Park Snow-Chao a snow playland featuring magic carpet, tobogganing slope, tubing, snow play zone and mini trampolines
Japan’s Activity and Après Mecca
From one-of-a-kind snow monkey tours, to sake tastings and East meets West après, Hakuba offers a wide and unique variety of après and activities like nowhere else.
- East meets West Après: 150 Japanese and Western restaurants and bars to cater for all tastes, from classy cocktail lounges, fun karaoke dens to traditional izakaya pubs
- Relax at the end of the day on the outside deck at Snow Plaza Sakka whilst watching the kids go crazy at the Kids Park opposite
- Refresh the mind and skin at the famous Happo onsen, Japan’s highest alkalinity hot springs
- Take a tour to see the snow monkeys soaking in the onsens of Jigokudani Park. It’s the only place in the world where monkeys bathe in hot springs.
- Other unique cultural activities include: temple tours, sushi making, samurai sword shows, Japanese tea ceremony and sake tours and tastings
Blue Powder Insider Tip, Mel says “Kikyo-Ya serves up the best sushi and Sashimi in Hakuba, it’s not to be missed!”
Flight time to Tokyo is approx 10 hours and makes an ideal stopover. Shuttles to Hakuba take around 5 hours or use a Japan Rail pass and catch the train to Nagano approx. 3 hours, then 1 hour shuttle to the resort.