Why is Canadian ski resort, Sun Peaks a firm family favourite? At Sun Peaks, family holidays are as stress-free and easy as they are fun and memorable. From the ski-through, family-friendly village and dreamy ski conditions for all ages and levels, to the array of Canadian winter wonderland après experiences, it’s a place teeming with moments you and your children will take home with you and remember for years to come.
7 things you’ll love about Sun Peaks
- Easy to get to from Australia
- Perfect ski holiday weather
- True ski-in ski-out family friendly village
- 135 uncrowded runs from beginner to expert
- Lessons for all ages and levels
- A bevy of unique kids and family après activities
- Skiing with Winter Olympian gold medallist, Nancy Green
Blue Powder Insider Tip, Sam says: “Treat yourself to a post-ski Express Spa water jet massage. OMG!”
Savour happy-kid weather and pristine powder snow
Every parent knows that happy kids mean happy holidays. And on ski trips, freezing or wet weather can quickly turn smiling snow angels into ogres. In Sun Peaks, you’re as close to assured of perfect skiing weather as Mother Nature ever grants with:
- 2000 hours of sunshine a year (hence the name Sun Peaks)
- Consistent snowfall throughout the season from November to April
- Sun Peaks interior location means it experiences minimal rain and winter temps average -7C – that equals lots of light, dry snow and fabulous ski conditions!
Ideal skiing for all ages, levels and interests
From the moment you’re ready to hit the slopes, there’s much to love about Canada’s second-largest resort. Being a true is ski-in ski-out village, you won’t be trekking for miles lugging skis and boots.
On the mountains you’ll mingle with a fraction of the crowds that head to larger resorts. So lift queues are rare and there’s always plenty of wide open space to learn, cruise or take on a next level challenge.
Whether your snow posse are beginners, intermediates or advanced skiers and boarders, they’ll be in rapture for days enjoying:
- 12 lifts accessing 135 varied runs from beginner to expert
- 1,728 hectares of groomed runs, mogul runs, glades and terrain parks over three mountains
- beginner skiing at the village base, on a separate slope to other skiers
- long, diverse blue runs to coax intermediates up from green
- green, blue and black run options from the top of every lift
- black and double black runs on Mt Morrissey and Mt Tod
- safe backcountry skiing
- free introduction to the area tours.
Blue Powder Insider Tip, Sam says: “Family season passes are even available in high season so it might be a cheaper option than regular lift passes.”
Enrol your kids at the School of Powder
Sun Peaks have a renowned ski school and lesson programs that give your brood the chance to learn correct techniques from an expert, have fun with kids their own age and be returned to you all skied out.
Meanwhile, you can relax knowing they’re in good hands while you bask in some well-earned grown up time on the slopes. Sun Peaks offers:
- programs for 3-7 years and 6-12 years
- half, full-day and private lessons by the hour
- excellent prices compared to Australian resorts
- all-age lessons, camps and clinics
- the ski-school meeting point and beginner areas in the village centre
- easy ski through access so you can check-in with the kids during the day.
Blue Powder Insider Tip, Sam says: “Ski gear for kids is often free with adults hire.”
Much more than just a family-friendly village
Everything about Sun Peaks charming and intimate pedestrian-only village has been carefully planned and built to ensure families feel right at home.
With its welcoming and helpful locals, car free village, and choice of ski in ski out accommodation dining and fun activities, you immediately feel part of a close knit, caring community. It’s a big part of what makes holidaying as a family in Sun Peaks such a pleasure. And why so people return year after year.
- Nice and safe as the entire village is car free
- Plenty of casual dining and grab ‘n go choices
- Kids’ Spots including The Candy Vault, Sneaky Scallywags, Mountain High Pizza and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory
- Easy to get kids to ski school in the mornings and home when tired little legs give out
- Drop into a restaurant or your hotel at a moment’s notice.
Blue Powder Insider Tip, Sam says: “Try the heavenly cinnamon buns sold at Sunburst Mid Mountain Restaurant – they’re the best!”
Something just for you
Don’t worry Mum and Dad, Sun Peaks hasn’t forgotten that this is your holiday too. With ski schools, childminding, babysitting and all kinds of activities here to keep kids enthralled, it’s crucial to have a plan of attack if, and when, opportunities arise.
So we’re just going to leave this right here:
- Plenty of cosy cafes and boutique shops
- Après spots to kick off your boots and relax in at the end of the day
- Several romantic dining out options, such as Italian, Japanese and Mediterranean.
- Join Olympian Nancy Greene for a few turns on a free mountain tour
Après family experiences you’ll never forget
One of the joys of travelling overseas is having the chance to experience things you could never do at home. And those moments mean even more when you get to share them with your children and see the wonder, excitement and joy they bring.
The icing on a Sun Peaks holiday is its amazing menu of unforgettable Canadian winter wonderland activities and adventures that you can experience as a family and always treasure. Some of our favourites include:
- Dog-sledding and mountain-mushing with huskies
- Snow shoeing, hot chocolate and marshmallows
- Snowmobile tours and rentals
- Horse draw sleigh and wagon rides
- Cat Trax Groomer Rides
- Activity nights + bungee trampoline
- Fondue dinner and evening torchlight descent
- Hockey Games in Kamloops
- Kids Park tobogganing, tube park and bungy trampoline.
Kids grow up too fast, so taking time away from regular life as a family is priceless. It can also create some our warmest memories, as a child and parent. What makes those special moments so precious is the happiness we feel when we share or quietly remember them – whether it’s the day we arrive home or years from now.
And that’s what Sun Peaks is really all about.
Getting to Sun Peaks
- Kamloops airport: 45 minutes transfer
- From Vancouver via Kamloops to your cosy hotel room takes less than two hours.
Blue Powder Insider Tip, Sam says: “The longer you stay, the more free nights you get. 7 nights, 1 free, 10 nights 2 free, etc.”
Contact Blue Powder Travel for more information on Sun Peaks family friendly deals and availability and talk to the people who’ve been there.